With so much confusion and frustration around the process we thought it would be beneficial to share this step by step guide on how to sign up for the JobKeeper payment.
Enrol for the JobKeeper payment
- You or your registered tax or BAS agent can enrol for the JobKeeper payment.
- Log in to the Business Portal using myGovID.
- Select ‘Manage employees’ then the link for the JobKeeper payment.
- Fill in the JobKeeper enrolment form and provide your:
- eligibility information
- expected number of eligible employees
- contact and bank details.
- Notify all your eligible employees you have nominated them.
- To ensure you receive your JobKeeper payments as early possible, you should enrol by the end of April. However, enrolments are open till the end of May if you need more time.
Identify and maintain your eligible employees
- You or your registered tax or BAS agent can identify each eligible employee that you will claim the JobKeeper Payment for and maintain their details each month.
- If you have STP enabled payroll software, you can identify your employees in one of the following ways:
- Directly into your STP enabled payroll software if it is updated with JobKeeper functionality.
- In the Business Portal if your STP payroll software is not updated with JobKeeper functionality
- If you have 200 employees or less, log in to the Business Portal and select employee details that are pre-filled from your STP pay reports.
- If you have more than 200 employees, you can manually create a pay report, ask the ATO for a pre-filled JobKeeper report, or use the JobKeeper Payment Guide sample payload files – Blank file (CSV, 28KB) and Example file (CSV, 71KB) – to produce your own JobKeeper report and provide it back to the ATO by uploading via the Business Portal Transfer file function.
- If you don’t have STP enabled payroll software, you can identify your employees in one of the following ways:
- In the Business Portal
- If you have 40 employees or less, manually enter your eligible employees’ details
- If you have more than 40 employees, you can use the JobKeeper Payment Guide sample payload files – Blank file (CSV, 28KB) and Example file (CSV, 71KB) – to produce your own JobKeeper report and provide it back to the ATO by uploading via the Business Portal Transfer file function or consider moving to an STP enabled payroll solution.
- In the Business Portal
Make a business monthly declaration
- Each month, you must reconfirm your reported eligible employees. This can be done through the Business Portal or via your registered tax or BAS agent.
- If your eligible employees change or leave your employment, you will need to notify us through the business monthly declaration report.
- You must also provide information as to your current and projected GST turnover. This is not a retest of your eligibility, but rather an indication of how your business is progressing under the JobKeeper Payment scheme.